All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Changes to how new PiAware feeders are identified
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:46 am 
FlightAware Member
jimcander - FlightAware user avatar

Hey Oliver -

Any word on converting MAC based installations to ID based installations?

Jim

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:18 pm 
Ljungskile - FlightAware user avatar

obj wrote:
If you have an existing site this does not affect you - existing sites will continue to be identified by MAC address at the moment.

I have changed hardware on my site, I would like to keep the old site ID, Im using the same image (different SD-card, but I have made sure it has the old sites ID now)

Could you please remove site 43294 and make sure that site 19882 identifies by ID instead of MAC?

Edit:
I didnt want to loose my "longest streak" (from the first day I started with this) on 19882, so I did as GeorgLichtblau and many others, i spoofed the MAC from the old Pi. But I still hope to be able to identify 19882 by ID instead of MAC in the future. It would make it easier when changing out hardware.

Last edited by Ljungskile on Wed May 17, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:41 pm 
GeorgLichtblau - FlightAware user avatar

I've changed hardware at one of my receivers (registered before the feeder-id) today...

As I wanted to keep my old stats I changed the mac-address to the old one and fiddling around for two hours with just creating new feeder-ids :)

So the quick and very, very dirty hack to get it to work by just using the mac-address was:

rm /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
touch /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
chmod 000 /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id

As said... very, very dirty.. but it works :)

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:24 pm 
FlightAware Staff
obj - FlightAware user avatar

That will break in the near future.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 8:23 pm 
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

The Piaware of a new Pi with new image obtains a new feeder-id immediately at FIRST BOOT, if:

(1) Mac address spoof was not done BEFORE FIRST BOOT
OR
(2) Mac address spoof was done, but it did not work due to line break in file cmdline.txt

The trouble free way to spoof mac address is to do it BEFORE FIRST BOOT of the newly written image, and to ensure there is no line break in file cmdline.txt.

After writing the image, and while the microSD card is still in card reader of Laptop/Desktop, click on the drive letter of microSD card. This will open the /boot folder (the only folder visible in laptop/desktop). Then open the file cmdline.txt using Wordpad (do not use Notepad, as it creates a line break in the file when it is saved, and because of line break, the mac spoof does not work).
This file has only one line. At the end of this line, add (without line break) following and save file.

smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
(replace xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx by mac address of old Pi)

Now take out card from laptop/desktop, plugin into Pi and do the FIRST BOOT.

If a line break was introduced, then even if you edit file cmdline.txt in nano editor in SSH console and remove the line break, Piaware by that time has already obtained a new 128 bit site identifier, and you will be faced with problem of getting rid of it.

To enable SSH, you will also need to create a new file SSH in /boot folder BEFORE FIRST BOOT, while the microSD card is still in card reader of laptop/desktop.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:16 pm 
alleyoopie - FlightAware user avatar

A couple of weeks ago, I made a complete set (Pi/dongle/antenna) as a test for a friend so initially I registered it as a second feeder under my own account.
My friend has now decided to keep the set and continue as an independant feeder, how do I proceed to convert my second feeder into an independant one? (it's already the version with a unique identifier)

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:36 pm 
FlightAware Staff

alleyoopie wrote:
A couple of weeks ago, I made a complete set (Pi/dongle/antenna) as a test for a friend so initially I registered it as a second feeder under my own account.
My friend has now decided to keep the set and continue as an independant feeder, how do I proceed to convert my second feeder into an independant one? (it's already the version with a unique identifier)

If you stop piaware, remove /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id, and restart piaware, then it will create a new site when it logs in and your friend can claim that site for themselves.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:58 am 

obj wrote:
If you stop piaware, remove /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id, and restart piaware, then it will create a new site when it logs in and your friend can claim that site for themselves.

Unfortunately the same feeder_id is created the moment I restart piaware, this is what I do:
sudo systemctl stop piaware
piaware-status (to check that piaware has been stopped)
sudo rm feeder_id (when in the /var/cache folder)
ls (to check the file has gone)
sudo systemctl restart piaware
piaware-status (to check that piaware has been started again)

I also tried to reboot the pi (sudo reboot) just after having deleted the feeder_id but alas, to no avail...

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:46 am 
FlightAware Staff

alleyoopie wrote:
sudo rm feeder_id (when in the /var/cache folder)

Wrong directory.

edit: I looked at the logs and your piaware is providing the same feeder ID as configured data. That means either you configured it explicitly in piaware-config.txt or you've done something to make /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id unwriteable by piaware (piaware treats both cases the same - as a configured feeder ID that it can't update)

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 10:57 am 

Your hint does ring a bell. Originally I configured the Pi at my home but at my friends place it kept rebooting because the AC adapter that he used couldn't deliver enough current. Once this was solved I had to reimage the Pi due to a crashed µSD-card but this created a third account which I solved by including the original ID in the config file. I guess the problem will be solved by removing this entry and going through the same procedure as mentioned above.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:00 am 
GGITech - FlightAware user avatar

Can you change MAC: b8:27:eb:e9:b1:79 to the newer Unique Identifier?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:55 am 
sbontempo - FlightAware user avatar

Hi all, I performed an update on my piaware last night via the site and then rebooted. After the reboot, Piaware came back up with a completely new ID and a new nearest airport an hour and a half away from me. I need to get it back to the original ID. Is there a procedure online to do this?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:57 am 
sharkbit - FlightAware user avatar

Looks like this will be a bigger issue as people update their Pi's. I updated mine last night as well.

I think the Big Fix would be that Flight Aware generate the "Unique Identifier" for all Sites that don't have one now. That would allow us to move our updated pi-aware back to the old site.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:19 am 
FlightAware Staff

sharkbit wrote:
Looks like this will be a bigger issue as people update their Pi's. I updated mine last night as well.

I think the Big Fix would be that Flight Aware generate the "Unique Identifier" for all Sites that don't have one now. That would allow us to move our updated pi-aware back to the old site.

That is the plan.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:54 am 
FlightAware Member

An old station is identified by mac address, and there is no 128 bit id (long id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) mentioned on the FA stats page.

However I noted that a 128 bit feeder id is assigned and saved in RPi
pi@piaware:~$ cat /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
895008aa-1434-4084-4c91-f3dc0abe0e14

I checked other two places

pi@piaware:~$ cat /boot/piaware-config.txt
#no feeder-id found
pi@piaware:~$ sudo piaware-config -show feeder-id
#no feeder-id displayed

I deleted the cache file, and rebooted
pi@piaware:~$ sudo rm /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
pi@piaware:~$ sudo reboot

Now checked, found a new feeder id is assigned
pi@piaware:~$ cat /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
837dde67-e5f8-4bbe-8c1f-de874b993f64

I repeted "delete cache file and reboot", yet another new id was assigned.

The station number did not change by this "feeder-id deleting/new feeder-id creation" game.

What is the purpose of this feeder-id, and why a new one is assigned on deleting current feeder-id?

I also found that old sites are still behaving as before to the mac address spoof. When I spoofed mac address, a new site # was alloted, and the pi started feeding it. When I removed the mac address spoof, the pi started feeding the old site.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:38 am 
FlightAware Staff

Feeder ids are allocated even when the site is using Mac address as the primary identifier so that we can move the existing site to use feeder id without losing the existing site association when the time comes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am 
FlightAware Member
bidgee - FlightAware user avatar

Regret doing an update! My Mac address changed (thought spoofing would work but someone didn't check the forum :oops: ) and now I have two feeds. :cry:

http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/ ... stats-6482 is the one I want to continue to use and http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/ ... tats-57171 is the one I want gone!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:14 pm 
hans1804 - FlightAware user avatar

I upgraded the hardware of my site and can't configure is to my old feeder-id. It's an older site recognized by it's Mac adres. I did find a feeder ID in the old piaware logfiles and tried to configure that. Didn't work.

Is there anyway I can get my old feeder stats back or is it really history, which would be a bit disappointing.

I added a test-site but this whole configuration exercise left me with 4 feeder sites.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:13 pm 
FlightAware Member

hans1804 wrote:
I upgraded the hardware of my site and can't configure is to my old feeder-id. It's an older site recognized by it's Mac adres. I did find a feeder ID in the old piaware logfiles and tried to configure that. Didn't work.

Is there anyway I can get my old feeder stats back or is it really history, which would be a bit disappointing.

I added a test-site but this whole configuration exercise left me with 4 feeder sites.

Please see thread Bake a Pi

If you have installed Piaware 3.5.0 image (SD card), go to OPTION-1, item "(5) (c) If you are replacing old Pi by a new one"

If you have installed Raspbian + Piaware 3.5.0 (package install), go to OPTION-2, item "(9) If you are replacing old Pi by a new one".

After steps mentioned above, you will have to delete file feeder_id before reboot
sudo rm /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
sudo reboot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:48 pm 
GeorgLichtblau - FlightAware user avatar

hans1804 wrote:

I had almost the same situation here. Spoofing the MAC-Address but new feeder was generated.

The very, very dirty way to solve this is described here.... post207088.html#p207088

But please just read also the following post from obj... Anyway my new Orange Pi will do the same job as the old one before :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:31 pm 
eshulze - FlightAware user avatar

I just upgraded the software (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) I then rebooted and it moved to the new feederid system.

Can you please help re-point to my old one? I don't want to loose my streak if I don't have to over a simple reboot.

Old/Correct site: 33214 New site: 58999

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:17 am 
FlightAware Member

eshulze wrote:
I just upgraded the software (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade) I then rebooted and it moved to the new feederid system.

Can you please help re-point to my old one? I don't want to loose my streak if I don't have to over a simple reboot.

Thanks!

If you want to restore your old site, take following steps:

(1) Note down the mac address from your Flightaware stats page of the old site

(2) Delete the new 128 bit feeder id (xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) from following places

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo rm /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /boot/piaware-config.txt
    #scroll down to bottom of file and see if you can find a line "feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx # updated by fa_piaware_config". If the line is there, delete this line, and save file. If you dont find this line, close the nano editor.

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /etc/piaware.conf
    #scroll down and see if you can find a line "feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx # updated by fa_piaware_config". If the line is there, delete this line, and save file. If you dont find this line, close the nano editor.

(3) Spoof mac address as follows:
pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
#this file has all text in one line. At the end of this line, add one space and add "smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" (without quotes " "), where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the mac address you noted from old site's stat page.
Make sure that there is no line break between existing text and "smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", else the spoof will not work.

(4) Now reboot the pi for spoof to take effect.
Check your Flightaware stats page.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:55 am 
FlightAware Staff

eshulze wrote:
I just upgraded the software (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade)

If you started from a piaware 3.3 sdcard image then upgrading the system packages has left your system in a broken state (see the announcement post in this forum); I suggest reimaging with 3.5.0, which should return you to the correct MAC address & site association.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:16 am 

obj wrote:
eshulze wrote:
I just upgraded the software (apt-get update && apt-get upgrade)

If you started from a piaware 3.3 sdcard image then upgrading the system packages has left your system in a broken state (see the announcement post in this forum); I suggest reimaging with 3.5.0, which should return you to the correct MAC address & site association.

It was already on 3.5.0.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:23 am 

abcd567 wrote:
eshulze wrote:

Thanks!

If you want to restore your old site, take following steps:

(1) Note down the mac address from your Flightaware stats page of the old site

(2) Delete the new 128 bit feeder id (xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) from following places

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo rm /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /boot/piaware-config.txt
    #scroll down to bottom of file and see if you can find a line "feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx # updated by fa_piaware_config". If the line is there, delete this line, and save file. If you dont find this line, close the nano editor.

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /etc/piaware.conf
    #scroll down and see if you can find a line "feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx # updated by fa_piaware_config". If the line is there, delete this line, and save file. If you dont find this line, close the nano editor.

(3) Spoof mac address as follows:
pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
#this file has all text in one line. At the end of this line, add one space and add "smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx" (without quotes " "), where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the mac address you noted from old site's stat page.
Make sure that there is no line break between existing text and "smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", else the spoof will not work.

(4) Now reboot the pi for spoof to take effect.
Check your Flightaware stats page.

This worked perfectly! Thanks!