High no. of aircraft, disappointing no. of msgs

I’m very pleased with >3K aircraft seen most days on my Pi3/Flightaware stick but the message count doesn’t match - other sites perform better.

Any thoughts about how to improve the message count?

I’m high up in South Gloucestershire with a gable mounted Colinear …

Kind Regards

Hugh

Are you getting decent range?

High No. of planes, but low message count suggests your antenna isn’t performing well and you are only receiving each aircraft for a short time.

If you run ADSBScope, it will plot a range boundary that allows you to observer system improvements.

Cheers,
ian

Thank you Ian! I’m running OS X …

Range is over 250NM and very close to line of sight limit …

Kind Regards

Hugh

Just had a look at your stats page (that just makes me jealous) and your coverage graph suggests an obstruction to your east.
Moving the antenna to another part of the house of raising it a meter or two may give you an improvement, but I have to say you have a great site as it is.

cheers.

Goodness! What kind comments!

In the comparison section showing other nearby sites I seem to lag in the number of messages - and so I value your advice.

East? Yes - I cannot see down into Heathrow which is frustrating.

I have a new antenna from the States I’ve yet to try and I have the Gain Script running so there’s a little more to be gained hopefully.

You have encouraged me. Perhaps I’m asking to much …

Kind Regards

Hugh

Most likely it is due to your Collinear, if it is home made.

Due to normal dimensional inaccuracy in DIY situation, the radiation pattern is not horizontal like ∞. The two lobes are either pulled up or pulled down.

Most likely your range and message count will improve substantially if you use a well-designed, well-built, and factory-tested/factory-tuned commercial aerial like Flightaware 26 inch 1090 Mhz aerial.

Thank you for you reply … I’m using a commercial Moonraker but I take your point. In fact I have an American import (DPD) that I’m just about to try.

Kind Regards

Hugh

Is your “Moonraker” same as / similar to “Sandpiper” / “Radar Rama”?

post187423.html#p187423

It’s no longer available - but no: it was an enclosed Colinear with a ground plane. 6.5dbi so it claims …

Variable results - mine good, others v disappointed.

Kind Regards

Hugh