FlightFeeder Android update

Hi everyone,

We’re announcing some changes to the FlightFeeder Android application that currently allows you to decode and feed Mode S/ADS-B data from an Android device using an USB SDR dongle. After September 15, 2016, FlightAware will no longer be maintaining or supporting this software. We will however be releasing the code to the community as open source.

FlightFeeder Android was an attempt to extend our reach to areas where there are existing Android devices but access to Raspberry Pis may be cost prohibitive or not be readily available. While we have had some success with this initiative, its impact is very small relative to the great success of the PiAware-based receiver network – we currently have nearly 6,700 PiAwares online but less than 50 FlightFeeder for Androids. As a result, we are discontinuing FlightFeeder Android and focusing our efforts on the PiAware software stack.

To further support the community, we will be releasing the FlightFeeder Android codebase as an open source project on GitHub. This will enable anyone that is interested in Android-based Mode S/ADS-B receivers to continue that project and fully leverage FlightAware’s previous work in this area.

What does this mean if you are currently using FlightFeeder Android? After September 15, the app will no longer be able to feed data to FlightAware. It may still work for receiving and displaying local data but it will be no longer supported by FlightAware.

If this impacts your ability to receive and feed data to the network, we recommend and encourage you to build your own PiAware using a Raspberry Pi. PiAware devices running the latest PiAware 3 software are the best and most up to date way to receive and feed data to the FlightAware ADS-B network, including receiving multilateration (MLAT) results back from the network. For users in areas where FlightAware has little or no existing coverage, you may be eligible to receive a FlightFeeder from FlightAware; if you are interested in this option and have not already applied for a FlightFeeder, then you may do so using our FlightFeeder request form.

Thank you for your support of FlightAware flight tracking services.

UPDATE / September 15, 2016:
As previously announced, today FlightAware released the code as an open source project on github. The app is now known as “ADS-B Flight Scanner” and the source code may be obtained from github. More information about the product and its history may be found on the github page.

Thanks for trying. It was a good idea that just did not provide a reasonable return. I tried the Android flightfeeder and found problems with my configuration (android could either run flightfeeder or charge the battery - others got that to work). Any contributions I made merely duplicated my piaware and PP feeds.

Seems like a while back you had another project, releasing the flightfeeder code as something called ‘piaware’. That seems to have been ‘a bit’ more successful.

Thanks for both. Just wondering what will next come out of FA’s skunk works.
:slight_smile:

I asked the FlightFeeder, put it offered by Eric Carlson to an existing FlightFeeder Android user.

But I got the answer:

Thank you for requesting the FlightFeeder. At this time, the FlightFeeder is extremely high demand and long waiting time in your area.

I will not receive the same flighfeeder being offered by Eric Carlson?

Thank you

As Eric mentioned in his announcement, we only have the resources to provide free FlightFeeder hardware in “areas where FlightAware has little or no existing coverage”.

You are still welcome to build your own Raspberry Pi based receiver using our instructions on flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/build

It seems after reading up on the Google Store and online that people have been unable to login in for sometime to the Android Flightfeeder. People aren’t going to keep running a program that doesn’t work. I am glad I found this thread. The Play store should be updated as well if FA is dropping support.

The Android Flightfeeder would have been great for hiking and/or attending airshows. I have a nearby mountain I was planning on giving this try to see what kind of range it would give. Guess I will have to bring a laptop along now. I would urge you guys to reconsider at least getting the software functional (it only logs in as guest) before really deciding to pull the plug on it. A phone is the ultimate in portability and the Flightaware Pro dongle works great on my Nexus 6.

A 2012 Nexus 7 with a dock might have been a cheap way to get this going for the technically challenged as well as a way to repurpose old hardware.

Yes, the app was discontinued and no longer can connect to FlightAware. We’ll be re-releasing the app and open sourcing it so that you can continue to use it locally without connecting to FlightAware.

The announcement in the first post of this thread has been updated to reflect that the software code has been released as open source (as previously announced). You may find links above to read more about the product and access the source code.

Open Sourcing the code is a great service to the community.
THANK YOU!

I’ve tried this very setup.
Unfortunately the Nexus 7 will not charge via the dock when something (ie an RTL or FA dongle) is plugged into the USB port on the side.
I was looking to use this with a portable battery pack as a portable station at airshows etc, but the map wouldnt work either with no Internet.
Will this work now that it is a standalone app?

Thanks,
Mark…

I tested during last hour (after updating old Flight Feeder from Google Play).
It’s name is now “ADS-B Flight Scanner”.

Phone in “Flight Mode” (no internet either by Data or WiFi):
The airplane table shows Rx light blinking and a list of airplanes.
The map page continously tries to load map from Google, and an everlasting spiny is there.

Phone in normal mode (both Data & WiFi were available):
Both the airplane table and map with airplanes working.

Image 1 of 5: TEST SETUP

Images 2 & 3 of 5: PHONE IN “FLIGHT MODE”
https://c7.staticflickr.com/9/8154/29831531742_150d2bd0e9_z.jpghttps://c5.staticflickr.com/6/5494/29318300964_c5ba04b12f_z.jpg

Images 4 & 5 of 5: PHONE IN “NORMAL MODE” (DATA & WIFI ON)
https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5337/29861727411_ae414dfb22_z.jpghttps://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8363/29318488683_1d9e612ba7_z.jpg

The map within the app still relies on the Google Maps website for loading the tiles and mapping APIs.

If you’re unable to charge while using USB-OTG, then that is a hardware issue and not something that is likely to be addressable by software. If your Android supports wireless Xi charging, then you can try charging it that way while your USB-OTG adapter is plugged in.

Yes it is a hardware limitation of the Nexus 7 / Dock, others have reported it around the web also…

That’s a shame that it still needs Internet to load the maps.
Possibly going off topic a little now, but anyone know if there is a similar app that can be used completely ‘offline’?
Maybe using the GPS on the tablet instead to get a fix on a preloaded map or similar?

Thanks
Mark…

If you are a developer, you can consider taking the source code that we have published and making your own fork that implements the maps in a different manner that would permit offline usage. That was not one of the original design goals of our app, since it originally required network access to be able to upload data.

Hi Mark, you can try:

Avare (offline aviation maps) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ds.avare
Avare ADSB (ADSB Receiver) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bs.Avare.ADSB

Regards, Mike