All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: FlightAware ADS-B filters now for sale in the US
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:17 pm 
FlightAware Member
wnypoker - FlightAware user avatar

vrrraju wrote:

I have received the Flightfeeder in Nov-2015, can anybody confirm that it has one internally. I am getting very few (single Digit)- 300+ miles positions. I have placed an antenna on roof top, but the nearest GSM cell site is at a distance of 100m. So adding one will it increase the range?

I have multiple towers within 1/4 mile radius. The filter bumped my stats by at least 25%.

Post subject: Re: FlightAware ADS-B filters now for sale in the US
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:48 pm 
mduell - FlightAware user avatar

vrrraju wrote:
dbaker wrote:
clipsnotebook wrote:
Just curious - Do Flightfeeders also get one of these? The one supplied earlier decreased my range and count

It depends on the model of FF since some have an internal one.

I have received the Flightfeeder in Nov-2015, can anybody confirm that it has one internally. I am getting very few (single Digit)- 300+ miles positions. I have placed an antenna on roof top, but the nearest GSM cell site is at a distance of 100m. So adding one will it increase the range?

Your FlightFeeder has a good internal filter, an external filter won't help.

The external filters are for PiAware or the older FlightFeeders (serials below ~1200).

Post subject: Re: FlightAware ADS-B filters now for sale worldwide
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:31 am 
rajat321 - FlightAware user avatar

When will the FA Antenna & Filter be available in India? International shipping from USA will add 50% to the cost and I'm not sure whether it will reach at all. I'm currently feeding through a Pi and a DIY Collinear. Have requested for a FlightFeeder but my area doesn't seem to be a priority for FA right now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:23 pm 
CYBX - FlightAware user avatar

Any other options besides Amazon.ca in Canada? They charge huge shipping fees to remote areas of Canada. It would cost me over 30 dollars to ship this item to my location.

Cheers,
Scott.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:26 am 
KaiK - FlightAware user avatar

Hi Guys,

I received mine from Amazon Germany overnight via Prime for 20 EURO.
Now I have just one simple question. Is there a defined IN and OUT of the filter or will it work bidirectional?
I would assume, that reading the text on the filter, the input will be on the left side (SMA female) and the output on the right side (SMA male).

Kind regards
Kai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:07 am 
FlightAware Staff
dbaker - FlightAware user avatar

KaiK wrote:
Hi Guys,

I received mine from Amazon Germany overnight via Prime for 20 EURO.
Now I have just one simple question. Is there a defined IN and OUT of the filter or will it work bidirectional?
I would assume, that reading the text on the filter, the input will be on the left side (SMA female) and the output on the right side (SMA male).

Kind regards
Kai

It's bidirectional, so plug it in however it's most convenient to you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:53 pm 
KaiK - FlightAware user avatar

dbaker wrote:

It's bidirectional, so plug it in however it's most convenient to you.

Great. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:48 pm 
FlightAware Member
karlrobbins - FlightAware user avatar

Just seen these Filters for sale on Amazon Europe and most interested in buying one.
However, whilst the picture of the filter is pretty good. I am unable to see the ends of the filter and was wondering if these filters were Normal or RP's, as all my plugs and sockets are Normal.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:58 pm 
mduell - FlightAware user avatar

karlrobbins wrote:
Just seen these Filters for sale on Amazon Europe and most interested in buying one.
However, whilst the picture of the filter is pretty good. I am unable to see the ends of the filter and was wondering if these filters were Normal or RP's, as all my plugs and sockets are Normal.

Thanks!

Normal on both ends, no RP.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:15 am 
FlightAware Member

mduell wrote:
karlrobbins wrote:

Thanks!

Normal on both ends, no RP.

Thank you mduell :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:15 am 
FlightAware Member
k5ted - FlightAware user avatar

Filter doubles messages and increases range for me on the modified MaxRad groundplane. Didn't see much of an increase or advantage on the Franklin or the Collinear. Sticking with the groundplane for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:16 am 
FlightAware Member
TomMuc - FlightAware user avatar

the flightaware filter over here in europe does not really make sense as it let pass 920-960mhz (cellphone) nearly 100%.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:52 pm 
FlightAware Member

Received my Flightaware Filter via Amazon Europe yesterday and so far it has reduced my receiving range by 50-70nm and message rate has dropped from 1500 per 5 mins to between 500-900 per 5 mins, according to the FA Control Panel.

I'm not solely blaming the filter, as I have also installed 8 metres of WF100 cable as per suggestion and if my figures are correct, I now have a db loss of approx 6.5db, which makes my 5db collinear antenna, now -1.5db.

So, this FA filter can be returned and I'll have to buy the pre-amp and filter from HAB to regain my lost db.

You spend all this extra money to make things better and then you find out, it makes things worse rather than improved :twisted:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:18 pm 
FlightAware Member
mgunther - FlightAware user avatar

karlrobbins wrote:
So, this FA filter can be returned and I'll have to buy the pre-amp and filter from HAB to regain my lost db.

I got good results with this here: http://discussions.flightaware.com/post186711.html#p186711

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:19 pm 
FlightAware Member

mgunther wrote:
karlrobbins wrote:

I got good results with this here: http://discussions.flightaware.com/post186711.html#p186711

Yeah, that's the one I am going for but their website is called HAB Supplies :)

When you installed this Pre-amp/Filter. Did you run it at base of antenna or end of the coax by the dongle?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:58 pm 
FlightAware Member

amp always nearest possible location to antenna ...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:09 pm 
FlightAware Member

TomMuc wrote:

Thanks Tom. I'll have to buy an 8mtr long mini USB lead to power it then, as I'm not paying the high price for a Bias-Tee :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:21 pm 
FlightAware Member

karlrobbins wrote:
TomMuc wrote:

Thanks Tom. I'll have to buy an 8mtr long mini USB lead to power it then, as I'm not paying the high price for a Bias-Tee :shock:
another option is this dongle - it can power the amp with tiny modification:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0129EBDS2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=rsv0f-20&linkId=9806dfa291f74f7cdb49e2cfbe3d34eb

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

edit: a third way is to power the pi via power over ethernet and mount it directly at antenna and power the hab-amp via raspberry pi usb port.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:21 am 
FlightAware Member
mgunther - FlightAware user avatar

karlrobbins wrote:
When you installed this Pre-amp/Filter. Did you run it at base of antenna or end of the coax by the dongle?

End of coax by the dongle. I have 5m cable between antenna on roof and dongle in attic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:49 pm 
FlightAware Member

TomMuc wrote:
karlrobbins wrote:
TomMuc wrote:

another option is this dongle - it can power the amp with tiny modification:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0129EBDS2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=rsv0f-20&linkId=9806dfa291f74f7cdb49e2cfbe3d34eb

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

edit: a third way is to power the pi via power over ethernet and mount it directly at antenna and power the hab-amp via raspberry pi usb port.

Thanks for these options Tom but as I'm in the UK, I'm not going to pay the rip-off UK Import Duty. Although, I may consider the third option.

Took my mast down earlier, so I could put it back (cable wise) to how it was last week. Very bad idea, as I was tilting the mast over to lay it on the ground. I caught the wall and snapped the antenna casing. The collinear wire is still intact but just snapped the housing at the bottom but used some gaffer tape to hold it together. So, looks like I need to buy another $&*% antenna now.

I'm in destruction mode this week. When I get paid next week, I'm gonna go mental and just re buy everything again and start over: New NooLec DVB-T2 dongle, 6db Antenna, Satellite amp or Pre-amp/Filter from HAB.

mgunther wrote:
End of coax by the dongle. I have 5m cable between antenna on roof and dongle in attic.

Thanks mgunther, that is what I was hoping you would say, as that's where I may put mine when/if I get one.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:54 pm 
FlightAware Member

karlrobbins wrote:
Thanks for these options Tom but as I'm in the UK, I'm not going to pay the rip-off UK Import Duty. Although, I may consider the third option.

Took my mast down earlier, so I could put it back (cable wise) to how it was last week. Very bad idea, as I was tilting the mast over to lay it on the ground. I caught the wall and snapped the antenna casing. The collinear wire is still intact but just snapped the housing at the bottom but used some gaffer tape to hold it together. So, looks like I need to buy another $&*% antenna now.

I'm in destruction mode this week. When I get paid next week, I'm gonna go mental and just re buy everything again and start over: New NooLec DVB-T2 dongle, 6db Antenna, Satellite amp or Pre-amp/Filter from HAB.
shit ... feel sorry for you ... i know days/times like this ...
if you really have to buy a new antenna - this one was the best omnidirectional in my tests: http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/64807909.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64807909/Products/67020

kind regards
tom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:26 pm 
FlightAware Member

TomMuc wrote:
... feel sorry for you ... i know days/times like this ...
if you really have to buy a new antenna - this one was the best omnidirectional in my tests: http://shop.jetvision.de/epages/64807909.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/64807909/Products/67020

kind regards
tom

Thanks Tom, I do like that antenna. Has a cover tube for the N type plug.

The antenna I currently have, is the 6db Collinear from Bulgaria via eBay. It is a fantastic antenna in my opinion and has great wind resistance for the height my antenna is sat at.

If the Flightaware antenna came into Amazon Europe via Flightaware Europe like their filter does. I would have that in a heart beat but I won't be buying it via USA. UK Import costs would probably cost as much as the antenna does. I don't pay for one thing, twice :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:13 am 
lankosher - FlightAware user avatar

In my case filter made a tremendous difference, I live in the center of Krakow, PL where electromagnetic interferences seem to be a huge issue. Having applied a filter the frame rate has increased by 70% – 80%. This was a reasonable decision to apply Flightaware filter although initially I was kind of skeptical to it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:49 pm 
FlightAware Member
antonov124 - FlightAware user avatar

TomMuc wrote:
the flightaware filter over here in europe does not really make sense as it let pass 920-960mhz (cellphone) nearly 100%.

Es wäre einmal interessant ob jemand hier aus Deutschland diesen Filter gekauft hat und berichten kann ob er mit unseren Nachbarfrequenzen gut zusammenarbeitet oder nur Nachteile bringt.

Germany inside testing ;)

It would be interesting if someone has bought here from Germany this filter and can report whether he brings works well with our neighboring frequencies or only cons

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:37 pm 
GeorgLichtblau - FlightAware user avatar

antonov124 wrote:
TomMuc wrote:

It would be interesting if someone has bought here from Germany this filter and can report whether he brings works well with our neighboring frequencies or only cons

I can't agree to TomMuc.. Ordered it via Amazon in Austria (not Germany :) and I don't know where it come from :)).. I got an improvement in urban area (Vienna, we got the same frequencies). ~€20 Euro is worth a try IMHO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next