Feed FA, FR24 and PF using an RPi

How do you feed FA, FR24 and PF?..
What is the best way to do it actually?..
I’ve got an RPi, and I followed a tutorial I found online last year…

But after completing my instalation, FR24 and FA updated there feeders.
I have read that one doesnt play well with the other after they got updated.
Something about the MLAT modifications. Is that true?

Is there a thread, that details how to install a fresh new RPi with all three feeders and get MLAT capabilities on FA and FR24?

Thanks

This thread will do 2 out of 3.
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-feeder-project-setup-scripts-t36532.html

The scripts install software to share to FlightAware (via PiAware), PlaneFinder (via the Plane Finder ADS-B Client) and ADS-B Exchange but does not support FlightRadar24.

My decision to not add support for FR24 was due to the fact their source code is on lock down and they no longer allow the use of software other than theirs to feed data to their site. They now use a proprietary dump1090 and data format and no longer allow third party versions to be used. Their posts regarding their latest releases are littered with issues posted by people trying to feed other sites such as FlightAware as well as FR24. I believe my data is mine and I should be free to share it with whomever I wish so by blocking me from doing so I am not willing share my data with them for their financial gain. Not to mention most of the higher ups come across as for lack of a better word douches on their forums.

You don’t have to use their version of dump1090 to feed data to them. The client they use is configurable for a variety of receivers. I just set it to connect to dump1090-mutability on port 30005 and it works fine. I think they prefer their version for mlat, but I have it enabled in the client and it still appears to work OK.

Only if you use older versions no longer published on their site from what I have seen.

See abcd567’s post here: http://discussions.flightaware.com/post187627.html#p187627
FR24 client seems to work for him.

I may look into it again in the future to see if things changed.
However at the moment I am more focused on other aspects of the project.

The beta is where they are making the changes which I am sure will become the next release version of the software eventually. Things related to multiple feeders start around this post forum.flightradar24.com/threads/ … #post68662 and continue from there. Basically fixes so you can run their modified version of dump1090 along with other feeders include uninstalling your current version of dump1090 and running theirs, disabling PiAware MLAT feedback, or then again I have read they may have removed the restriction that you must use their version of dump1090 meaning you can run a second instance of dump1090 to feed piaware/pfclient/adsb-exchange/etc… There is also supposed to be a working “advanced” setup procedure I read about outlined somewhere as well but could never find it…

Like I said it has been awhile since I visited the idea of adding support. Things may have changed completely and if it has you might see it added in the future. FlightAware is where I started out and is my main focus. If a package is going to require a bunch of workarounds and/or the crippling of currently installed software so theirs works then I am not really all that interest in taking on the workload at this time. Sometime down the road if there is a demand for it I will look into adding it however at the moment I am more focused on spending time on the web portal. If anyone wants to work on FR24 support in the mean time they are more than welcome to fork the project and submit a merge request. I am always open to contributions to the project.

By the way I was not suggesting that FR24 feeder should be added as an option to your scripts, and I agree with your reasons of not doing so at this time. I just wanted to point out to the opening poster that, right now at least, it seems to be easy to do manually.

Understood. Don’t get me wrong I think it would be a great addition if it plays nice with others now.

For what it’s worth, FR24 have just released a new version of their feeder:

Version 1.0.16-10 has been released few days ago to the beta and today to the stable APT repository.

Major changes include:

• For those users who feed to Flightaware and chain the data to FR24, FA MLAT data will not be sent to FR24 (mixing with ADS-B data as it previously was)
  • Auto-upgrade script fix ($PATH was missing when running from crontab)
  • Few steps towards restoring RPi-based MLAT

They seem to have incorporated obj’s suggestion of recognising any erroneous mlat data that gets to the dump1090 output.

FR24 have two types of software:
(1) The data feeder only
(2) Full image OS+dump1090+datafeeder

**(1) This is the page on which there are instructions for installing data feeder only. **

https://www.flightradar24.com/raspberry-pi (This is the one I have used)

it uses an auto install script install_fr24_rpi.sh, which I am posting below:

#!/bin/bash

# Stop on first error
set -e

if  "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
   echo "This script must be run as root" 1>&2
   exit 1
fi

# Import GPG key for the APT repository
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 40C430F5
gpg --armor --export 40C430F5 | apt-key add -

# Add APT repository to the config file, removing older entries if exist
mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
grep -v flightradar24 /etc/apt/sources.list.bak > /etc/apt/sources.list || echo OK
echo 'deb http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com flightradar24 raspberrypi-stable' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

# Update APT cache and install feeder software
apt-get update -y
apt-get install fr24feed -y

# Stop older instances if exist
service fr24feed stop || echo OK

# Run the signup wizard
fr24feed --signup
chmod a+rw /etc/fr24feed.ini

# Restart the feeder software
service fr24feed restart

echo "Installation and configuration completed!"

(2) This is the page on which there are instructions to install Pi24.img like Piaware.img

https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

I installed new version today and getting a lot of time errors with time drift.

There are obviously problems with the latest release. Mine won’t connect at all at the moment.

I’ve managed to get all 3 feeding apps to run of single RPi2 with single RTL-SDR stick.

Trick is to install old version of FR24Feed (1.0.13) on PiAware package and at the very end just install PF app.

When I first installed my RPi, y followed this steps…

1. Get image of raspbian here and unzip 2015-05-05-raspbian-wheezy.img image file.
    2 Install dump1090-mutability.
  2. Install piaware:
  3. Install fr24 feeder:
  4. Install Plane Finder client:

All the clients are working fine (havent tested MLAT due to lack of nearby recievers.)

MLAT does works for PF and PA, but I doubt it works for FR24 (1.0.13 supports it but it’s broken a.f.a.i.k.)

I haven’t installed separate dump1090, just PiAware as base and used it’s dump1090 to feed FR24. But anything above version 1.0.13 doesn’t work due to fact that later versions of FR24 are using some weird proprietary technique to obtain MLAT and are not feeding it back to receiver.