Dump1090-fa Aircraft Knowledge

I noticed when I installed Piaware 3.0.3, but it was probably prevalent in previous releases, that the aircraft information is very much lacking when a flight is highlighted. Here in New Zealand it seems that ONLY some Jetstar aircraft are ‘known’ and all others never get resolved!

Which brings me on to my second question, where does this aircraft information come from?

It is the same static database that dump1090-mutability uses, which is derived from the VRS static data files. The upstream data is no longer updated, unfortunately.

There are some python tools in the repository that do the building of the DB from whatever data you choose to feed it; the challenge is in finding a good data source.

I have my own MySQL data that I could use so where do I start to look at linking dump1090 to a data source?

Here’s the script that handles the VRS sqlite DB:

github.com/flightaware/dump1090 … to-json.py

You’ll just need to adapt the block at the top that does the SQL query to query your own DB instead: github.com/flightaware/dump1090 … son.py#L20

The eventual output (a bunch of json files) should go in /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/db/

Thanks obj, my skill set is a little short for that but I’ve cobbled together a basestation.sqb and associated query that has done something to improve the content. If anyone knows how to change sqlite3 for MySQL connection, I’d be happy to hear from you.

i have a local mySql database (derived and updated from a basestation one) and successfully querie it and show extra aircraft information - works well with a little effort. the challenge being getting an up to date databse
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12973352/dump1090-1026-08-06.jpg

with a view to sharing my modifications…
This relates to the latest dump1909 (open layers) release:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12973352/Working-permanent-labels-no%20dependancies.rar
it provides an example of ‘permanent aircraft label’
backup your html directory first, then use this one.

feedback on functionality and usefulness requested to see if more mod’s are worth posting

Hi invergordon,
I have done some pretty rough custom coding with a DB of NZ aircraft (I am based in Auckland), I also have customised icons for popular aircraft types coded in now, happy to share if you are interested.