DC Blockers - do I need one?

Evening all,

I’ve got the new flight aware antenna on order, due next week.

I’m running a Habamp straight into WF100 into the ant.

Remind me - is the DC blocker to stop power getting to the ant, or static etc from the ant damaging the pi / amp etc?

Havent got one at the moment, just want to make sure ive got everything together for when the ant arrives… :slight_smile:

The DC blocker is only necessary if you are running an inline tv type amplifier that is powered from the power injector. Sounds like you switched to the HabAmp, so you no longer need the DC blocker, nor the power injector. the path should be:

Antenna>WF100 coax>HabAmp ANT port= ]=HaBAmp OUT port>(SMA to? adaptor/cable)>RTL dongle antenna port

It is optional, of course, to incorporate a ‘lightning surge protector’ at the base of the antenna, preferably, grounded to the metal mast. If you have no metal mast, then put the ‘lightning surge protector’ somewhere between the antenna and the HabAmp, making sure to ground the ‘lightning surge protector’ to a good earth ground. Metal water pipe or gas pipe grounding is not a good idea.

If you decide to add this lighting arrestor, I recommend the the ‘gas discharge’ type.

This is good: amazon.com/Coaxial-Cable-Sur … +protector