Configure adsbscope to get data from Piaware

Could someone please tell me the trick to getting adsbscope running on a Windows PC to get data from my Piaware Raspberry Pi? I have adsbscope set up and running. Under other → network → network setup I’ve entered the IP address of my Pi, clicked RTL1090 to set the ports. When I click connect to decoder I get an error about the COM port. I’m trying to compare adsbscope to Virtual Radar Server, which I had no trouble setting up and getting data from the Pi. What am I missing? Thanks.

I understand your difficulty with adsbScope setup… not exactly intuitive and some of the translations from German aren’t ‘sehr gut’. I’ve had it running for most of a year now either directly on the laptop with the RTL-SDR or from the Raspberry Pi. Here’s how I have it set up getting data from my Raspberry Pi.

• Ensure the Raspberry Pi has a fixed IP address on the router
  • Menu other>Network>Network Setup
  • Enter your Raspberry Pi port (30005) and IP address
  • Select the ‘Binary’ dataformat button
  • Select the third network button with the popup ‘Start RAW-data CLIENT’
    or
  • Select the menu other>Network>RAW-data CLIENT active

This tutorial should get you started: SonicGoose

Start here for lots of outline file data: JetVision.de
With a little investigation into the airport and map files (read the manual), you can add departures, arrivals, and approaches. A great way to create the GPX files from CSV is with GPS Visualizer

Thank you! With your help I had it working in less than a minute. The problem was that I was trying to get it working on port 31001, the default port in adsbscope. Following the directions from Sonic Goose, I was trying to configure dump1090 to send the data on port 31001, which broke some other things in Piaware. I’m still new at this, so I didn’t know about changing the port in adsbscope to 30005. Thanks again. :smiley:

Morning gents,

Point 1 of your list…

“- Ensure the Raspberry Pi has a fixed IP address on the router”

Does one just set a static ip through the rasbpi-config settings GUI?

Is there any reason NOT to set it to a static IP?
(Setting it to static would be helpful with SSH etc for remote admin).

Morning gents,

Point 1 of your list…

“- Ensure the Raspberry Pi has a fixed IP address on the router”

Does one just set a static ip through the rasbpi-config settings GUI?

Is there any reason NOT to set it to a static IP?
(Setting it to static would be helpful with SSH etc for remote admin).

I logged into my router and associated the Pi MAC address with a static IP address. Every router will be different, so can’t give you detailed instructions…
I’m not aware of any reasons NOT to set it to a static IP, and yes it is helpful for remote admin.

Regards,
Marcus