Changing location of site temporarily

Hi All,

New user here and loving it so far…

I have my setup on a Raspberry Pi Zero which will live at home 99% of the time, however I’m off to RIAT in July and would like to take my setup with me.
I’ll be browsing to the Pi (with its static IP) from my laptop which should hopefully work ok.
I wont have Internet access so realise that I wont be able to feed Flightaware or indeed receive MLAT / ADS-B data from Flightaware but I should be able to see what the Pi is picking up around me.
What would I need to do re my account / site to reflect the fact that it has moved…?
Do I just change the location and thats all?

Will I be able to set it all back to how it was when I get home or will I need to re-install everything again?

Anyone done this before?

Thanks,
Mark…

Mark,
am traveling cross country with Rpi & laptop running planeplotter.
If you feed FA, then you need accurate Lat/Lon and altitude. My garmin provides this easily.
On your site
flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/MarkMZero
change the Lat Lon & altitude, use the ‘configure location’ button and ‘advanced option’.
If you are running dump1090 or dump1090-mutability, they accept lat lon arguments - this will localize your display.
Save travels
joel

Thanks Joel,

I wont be feeding anything apart from a laptop on the same local subnet as the Pi just to be able to view whatever the Pi / RTL stick plucks from the air.
I can use the GPS on my phone to give me accurate Lat/Lon and Altitude.
I assume I’ll still need to change my Lat/Lon etc so that I get meaningful data from the mobile setup described above…?

Sorry, I dont know the difference between dump1090 and dump1090-mutablilty.
My setup is stock following the instructions on the Flightaware site and I’m still learning…
(Was very surprised how easy it was to get it up and running, did it all in about 30 mins with no extra config needed!)

Mark…

Are you using VRS on your laptop as I don’t think you can display the map without an internet connection.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

MarkMZero,
does your phone supply wifi hotspot capability?
My two android devices can do so, and is what I use to feed while on the road.
It is in USA and using Verison.
YMMV,
joel

@rustytwig
No VRS, I can just browse to ](http://):8080 and I get the dump1090 display with a map which is all I need.
As long as the laptop is on on the same IP subnet as the Pi, then that should work (I think).

@joelwiley
Yes it does but i’m on a ‘pay as you go’ contract so that would get very expensive very quickly!

Still not really getting the answers I need here…
Let me try and re-phrase…

I will have my Pi, RTL stick, antenna and USB powerbank in my van.
The Pi will have a static IP of lets say 192.168.0.1/24
My laptop will have a static IP of lets say 192.168.0.2/24
I will have NO internet connection.

Q1. When I start everything up and browse to 192.168.0.1:8080 on my laptop, will I still see the dump1090 map centered on my home location or my temporary location?
Q2. If it is my home connection, can I change that to be centered on my present location with no Internet or will I need to change location before I go (with Internet from home)?
Q3 One my location is sorted out, I assume that I’ll be able to see on my map whatever aircraft are around me and being picked up by the Pi/RTL/Antenna WITHOUT an Internet connection? (I realise that I will NOT receive aircraft from other Flightaware users in this situation)

Any further help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mark…

Wouldn’t you need something to create a local network for your RPi0 and your computer?
A router would do this, but that is an extra box to carry around.

If your computer could run a dump1090, all you would need is another SDR receiver and antenna.

Dump1090 will output data without an Internet connection.

However, without the Internet connection thee map display will be limited. It will still show the plane location and movement and the text data.

If you are able to start up with an Internet connection, you will have a map background, until something causes the map to refresh. At this time the map will become a solid grey. The planes will still be there moving around, just no map features.

My laptop runs a Debian variant. This is the command that starts dump1090:
//dump1090 --net --interactive --lat --lon --net-http-port 8080

The lat and lon will be the center of your display. If they are off the planes will be plotted out of sight. The text data will still be there.

To see the display open your browser to localhost:8080.

If you were to get another radio (and antenna), you could still feed Flightaware from your home RPi0 while you are travelling.

Have a safe trip.

Thanks N112,

If you setup Wifi adapters in AdHoc mode rather than Infrastructure mode, you can communicate without a router (more accurately, the wireless access point in your router).

I DO have another RTL stick and antenna so I might looking to setting up dump1090 directly onto the laptop and leave the Pi at home in that case, didnt realise you could do that, I’m new to dump1090, so thanks for that info.

Also didnt realise that the maps would not work with no Internet connection as they rely on Google maps, I’ve read that on another thread since posting too.

Can you expand on what format the lat / lon needs to be in that command please?
Is it the decimal variant as needs to be set in my Flightaware account?

Thankyou for the information, that has got me thinking about it some more now, always learning!

Cheers,
Mark…

MarkMZero, here is the command line for dump1090.exe used when I was in Florida recently:
REM dump1090.exe --net --net-ro-port 30002 --net-beast --mlat --lat 27.34070 --lon -82.4825 --ppm -27.02 --modeac --net-ro-size 500 --net-ro-rate 5 --gain -10 --no-fix
Note West long is negative :slight_smile:

Ok, problem solved in a bit of an easier way, AND I can leave my PiAware setup at home to keep feeding.
I’ve found a FlightAware FlightFeeder Android app that along with an OTG cable and RTL stick, I can run on my tablet while I’m away.

I’ll probably still not get the map (as its downloaded over the web from Google maps) but I’m hoping I can use my phone as an access point for just long enough to load the map on the tablet, then disconnect it.
Hopefully that’ll work.

Doing it this way also gets over the different location problem as the app can use the GPS on the tablet to automatically find out where it is!

I’ll report back after my trip with details on how it worked…

Thanks
Mark…