All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 135
We've posted some updates today on social media today. As some of you have noted already here, the Pro Stick is available on Amazon Europe now!
https://twitter.com/FlightAwareADSB/sta ... 7643508736

The Pro Stick Plus will launch on Amazon Europe next week!
https://twitter.com/FlightAwareADSB/sta ... 3088920576


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:13 am 
Offline
runahue - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:29 am
Posts: 11
Great!
Waiting for Plus in Spain :-D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:34 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
PeterHR - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am
Posts: 700
Location: UK
Just ordered one from amazon UK, prime expedited delivery is estimated for 28th Dec.

23rd Dec: Noon - It's arrived and installed!


Last edited by PeterHR on Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:54 am 
Offline
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 135
The Pro Stick Plus is now available on Amazon Europe! This specifically includes Amazon sites for the UK, Germany, Spain and Italy. France should also be available but we're tracking down an issue with Amazon at the moment.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:46 am 
Offline
cnick6 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:38 am
Posts: 18
david.baker wrote:
The decision was made to put the filter after the built-in amp. I didn't think there would be many cases where the built-in amp would be saturated.

Prostick
built-in amplifier ---> receiver

Prostick Plus
built-in amplifier ---> built-in Filter ---> receiver

Adding a filter on the input of the prostick plus will prevent the built-in amplifier from be saturated.
Prostick Plus with external filter
external filter --> built-in amplifier ---> built-in Filter ---> receiver

An external filter + prostick plus seem to be marginally better than an external filter + prostick.
A major point of the prostick plus was to not need an external filter but it looks like some people might need it to get max messages.


It definitely *still* requires the filter immediately after the antenna in the receive chain. The thing is deaf without it (at least my area.)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:07 am 
Offline
infomb - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:54 am
Posts: 19
Since yesterday available in Germany via amazon :D
I'll get it on Thursday and then check it out; which one will be better, ProStick + external FA Filter or PlusStick ...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:50 am 
Offline
Venz - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:31 am
Posts: 11
Ordered mine on Amazon.de yesterday. Very curious how this little fellow will perform. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:00 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
PeterHR - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am
Posts: 700
Location: UK
I think you can see where I replaced the ProStick withe the ProStick+ (and I don't have nearby cell towers etc)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:42 pm 
Offline
NigelRichardson - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:55 pm
Posts: 15
Received my Pro Stick Plus from Amazon several days - after almost 2 days of using it in place of a FlightAware Prostick and Filter combination, I haven't noticed much improvement in the Reports received/Aircraft seen (possibly too early to tell for definite) but there is certainly a slight improvement in the range of reports received :)

Thank you to FlightAware for supplying these for purchase in the UK through Amazon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:56 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 am
Posts: 2022
Location: Toronto CYYZ
PeterHR wrote:
I think you can see where I replaced the ProStick withe the ProStick+ (and I don't have nearby cell towers etc)

Due to the very wide-band (24 Mhz - 1766Mhz) R820T tuner chip of DVB-T dongle, It is not only cell phone transmissions, but other transmissions also, which overload the dongle.

Very high frequency (VHF) 30–300 MHz
FM, television broadcasts and line-of-sight ground-to-aircraft and aircraft-to-aircraft communications, land mobile and maritime mobile communications, amateur radio, weather radio

Ultra high frequency (UHF) 300–3000 MHz
Television broadcasts, microwave devices/communications, mobile phones, wireless LAN, Bluetooth, ZigBee, GPS and two-way radios such as land mobile, FRS and GMRS radios, amateur radio, satellite radio


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:15 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 am
Posts: 2022
Location: Toronto CYYZ
NigelRichardson wrote:
Received my Pro Stick Plus from Amazon several days - after almost 2 days of using it in place of a FlightAware Prostick and Filter combination, I haven't noticed much improvement in the Reports received/Aircraft seen (possibly too early to tell for definite) but there is certainly a slight improvement in the range of reports received :)

Thank you to FlightAware for supplying these for purchase in the UK through Amazon.

Definitely Flightaware deserves big thanks for bring out such excellent and low cost products as the FA 26" Antenna, Filter, Pro Stick, and Pro Stick Plus.

In my opinion, in most situations (except few very noisy locations like mine), the ProStick Plus should be at par or slightly better than ProStick (orange) + Filter combo.

One advantage of ProStick Plus is in fitting the system hardware inside an enclosure. Due to one component (external Filter) less, it makes this much easier.

Another advantage is that the cost of ProStick Plus is substantially less than the cost of ProStick+Filter combo.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:40 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
chrisjohnston50 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:29 am
Posts: 169
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Without the filter, my Pro-Stick Plus statistics fall off dramatically.

Maybe I have a bad one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:22 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
abcd567 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:08 am
Posts: 2022
Location: Toronto CYYZ
chrisjohnston50 wrote:
Without the filter, my Pro-Stick Plus statistics fall off dramatically.

Maybe I have a bad one.

Most likely you have strong RF noise at your location, like my location.

At my location, with high gain (6 dBi) 26" FA antenna, using ProStickPlus without filter, the performance droped dramatically, but with low gain (2 dBi) Cantenna and Spider, Prostick Plus without filter gave same performance as ProStick+Filter combo.

To make sure if the ProStickPlus is ok or not, you can compare your ProStick+Filter vs ProstickPlus, using low gain Spider or Cantenna.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:05 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
chrisjohnston50 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:29 am
Posts: 169
Location: Fort Lauderdale
abcd567 wrote:
To make sure if the ProStickPlus is ok or not, you can compare your ProStick+Filter vs ProstickPlus, using low gain Spider or Cantenna.


Thanks for the advice! Guess I'll have to get to work fabricating those antennas.


Last edited by chrisjohnston50 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:52 am 
Offline
infomb - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:54 am
Posts: 19
abcd567 wrote:
[... ... but with low gain (2 dBi) Cantenna and Spider, Prostick Plus without filter gave same performance as ProStick+Filter combo.
...


I agree ; my equiment at Raspi2: 5/8 antenna (Stanislav Palo, Slovakia via ebay) + FA Pro Stick + FA Filter.
Compared with a (used before) standard DVB-T stick (no filter) at my second RasPi: 100% increase with FA Pro Stick Plus (only).

And of course, big thanks to flightware for providing us with this very affordable 'little things' 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:59 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
PeterHR - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am
Posts: 700
Location: UK
abcd567 wrote:
PeterHR wrote:
I think you can see where I replaced the ProStick withe the ProStick+ (and I don't have nearby cell towers etc)

Due to the very wide-band (24 Mhz - 1766Mhz) R820T tuner chip of DVB-T dongle, It is not only cell phone transmissions, but other transmissions also, which overload the dongle.

Very high frequency (VHF) 30–300 MHz
FM, television broadcasts and line-of-sight ground-to-aircraft and aircraft-to-aircraft communications, land mobile and maritime mobile communications, amateur radio, weather radio

Ultra high frequency (UHF) 300–3000 MHz
Television broadcasts, microwave devices/communications, mobile phones, wireless LAN, Bluetooth, ZigBee, GPS and two-way radios such as land mobile, FRS and GMRS radios, amateur radio, satellite radio


Nope - nothing special, only nearby RF sources are
Wifi router & VAP11N wifi bridge (on this Pi2)
Homeplugs
ZigBee (for wireless central heating controller)

No nearby industry
No nearby visible antennas (surprised that no-one has asked about the one I use for ADSB)

This is PiAware 3.1 SD card image running on Pi2 with Planefinder feeder (and FR24 feeder running 2-4am).

No PiAware parameters have been tweaked - Its running on AGC setings.

Installed ProStick+ about 12 noon yesterday, replacing ProStick

Image

Range rings are 25nm - outer ring 225nm
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:33 pm 
Offline
FlightAware Member
triggers - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:37 pm
Posts: 244
Location: Oxfordshire, UK
Hi PeterHR,

Have you tried the FA filter in your line before you tried the Prostick Plus?

I have the Prostick and tried the FA filter but lost a lot of counts and distance. I also tried my own filter (remember I bought 4 from you about 18 months ago?) with similar results.

I live in a very rural location with no visible masts etc. I didn't think the Prostick Plus would be any good in my location.

Perhaps I should give one a go 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:43 am 
Offline
cnick6 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:38 am
Posts: 18
abcd567 wrote:
In my opinion, in most situations (except few very noisy locations like mine), the ProStick Plus should be at par or slightly better than ProStick (orange) + Filter combo. One advantage of ProStick Plus is in fitting the system hardware inside an enclosure. Due to one component (external Filter) less, it makes this much easier.

You obviously missed the part where they admitted they placed the "new" filter component behind the AMP. So there's really no filter in place here. The AMP is likely amplifying the RF. The filter really doesn't matter at this point. If you've already received crap, then you're not likely going to remove 100% of it. So it'll still taste like crap.

Simply hook up both units to SDR# and check out their performance. I used my same ADS-B antenna chain -- and the only difference was adding the filter or not.

I also used ADSB# to compare performance between the two and there was only a very small performance benefit from the Blue stick.

One thing I did notice, despite the 0.5 PPM setting, is that the Yellow version seems to still require an high PPM value. For me, it was 90 PPM and the Blue stick only 15 PPM. That's probably the real change here -- as a lot of people were saying "not to worry about the PPM" measurement." :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:45 am 
Offline
FlightAware Member
PeterHR - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 am
Posts: 700
Location: UK
triggers wrote:
Hi PeterHR,

Have you tried the FA filter in your line before you tried the Prostick Plus?

I have the Prostick and tried the FA filter but lost a lot of counts and distance. I also tried my own filter (remember I bought 4 from you about 18 months ago?) with similar results.

I live in a very rural location with no visible masts etc. I didn't think the Prostick Plus would be any good in my location.

Perhaps I should give one a go 8)

If you look at my stats for before the prostick+, my local traffic on the first bar was much lower than the second bar - now it's much higher. I think I was saturating the r820t component.

The plus is also bringing in more from further away.

On the filters we did a group buy on, I tried one in the R820t2 pigtail, at the time there was a satellite LNB amp up the mast, the filter made little difference then. Didn't do much more with them due to age related eyesight issues (couldn't see the solder pads well enough to solder to them)

When flight levels get back to normal after the holidays, I'll switch back to the pro stick and compare dump1090 cpu utilisation- I suspect with the plus stick it could be lower though having less carp to eliminate.

(I don't have a separate FA filter - trying to justify a new synology ds216j and a couple of disks is a higher priority)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:38 am 
Offline
Venz - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:31 am
Posts: 11
The Pro stick + just arrived. So I installed it immediately. The first results are not bad. No manual gain adjust, just the standard settings.

Image

Setup:
RPi3 with Piaware 3.1.0
Pro Stick plus
2meters of Coax feed (Aircell 7)
FA antenna (installed outside at 10m AGL)

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:37 pm 
Offline
firefighter207 - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:07 pm
Posts: 2
On Amazon DE an CO.UK the Pro Stick Plus is sold out,
any idea when it will be available again?
I was to late with my order :(


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:28 am 
Offline
FlightAware Staff
ericcarlson - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm
Posts: 135
Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, we continue to have challenges with stocking Amazon in the EU. However, I should have an update in a few weeks on further availability in Europe. We are committed to making our products available in the EU.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:46 am 
Offline
bramjacobse - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:27 pm
Posts: 9
Pro stick Plus working fine

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:02 am 
Offline
Hemsspotter - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:35 am
Posts: 5
Ordered the last one from Amazon Europe *lucky*


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Announcing the Pro Stick Plus!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:19 pm 
Offline
brianipsen - FlightAware user avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:47 pm
Posts: 10
ericcarlson wrote:
The Pro Stick Plus is now available on Amazon Europe! This specifically includes Amazon sites for the UK, Germany, Spain and Italy. France should also be available but we're tracking down an issue with Amazon at the moment.


Sold out by now, and no information about when they are in stock again. For users within the EU it would be nice, if we could get a notification when the stick is available in an online store within the EU - instead of the specific country where you live (will require that the online store will ship to the countries within the EU).

Regards
Brian


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: