Adding WiFi to PiAware

Is it possible to adapt the PiAware for WiFi? I would like to use WiFi in place of the Ethernet cable and connection to the router. Thank you. :question:

Its pretty easy, as long as you have command line access to it, raspberrypi.org/documentati … ess-cli.md

Yes. I have several PiAware boxes and one of them uses wifi with no issues.

The only problem is that FlightAware identifies each individual feeder by MAC address (rather than with a portable “sharing key”). Your wired ethernet and wifi network adapters will have different MAC addresses, and so FlightAware will think you’ve added a new feeder. I think they can manually merge the old and new feeders into one, but it’s not the easiest thing in the world.

Mine is on WiFi and uses eth0’s MAC address for FA’s registration, so you don’t have to worry about that.

Likewise. Even after swapping out a malfunctioning WiFi dongle a few days back, FA still recognizes my Pi by its ethernet adapter mac address.

Huh. Interesting. I didn’t know that. Thanks for the info.

The raspberry pi USB stack has always been buggy. I have not checked to see if there has been an updated driver to address the reliability so perhaps this no longer applies. That said, since wifi dongles are on USB, they too can be a bit buggy. However, I have made my box VERY reliable with the two changes mentioned in this post. raspberrypi.org/forums/view … 9&p=647343

It has obviously been well over a year since I last did this so there may be a better or easier way to do it now.