1090Mhz SAW filters - UK - interested in a group buy?

I’ve had a quote from a UK company that stocks these:-

anyone interested in joining in for a group buy?

1090.0MHz GSRF TA1090EC SAW Filter
5 - £5 each
10 - £4.20 each

shipping £4.50 (on the batch)

I could use one or maybe two myself - I’d not be looking to make a profit, so it would be at cost and when payment is sent send an SAE and a piece of card (cornflake box) to stick the thing to

They are 4mm x 4mm x 1mm and intended for surface mounting, so you’d have to be very handy with a soldering iron to use one) - I’m thinking it may be possible to surface mount them on the copper side of a piece of stripboard (have a look on ebay)

so we’d be looking at about £6 each + the SAE (Large envelope - probably be too thick for small, 1st, 2nd, recorded - you put on the SAE what you want)

Who might be interested?

Think this is the one … taisaw.com/upload/product/TA1090EC.pdf

Hi Peter, I would love a couple but I have no idea how to solder them to something. I guess you would need a magnifying glass for those of us with less than 20/20 vision :unamused:

I don’t know either, will need patience and dexterity.

what I was thinking is old fashioned strip-board (veroboard) has holes / strips at 0.1" pitch = 2.5mm
if a strip was cut, then narrowed down with a scalpel both sides of the cut.
Then tin the narrowed ends and the strip above and below with solder - it may be possible to place the filter over the cut strip (copper side of the board) and flow some solder into the contact area

failing that flip it on it’s back - solder some filament wires onto it (one strand from a multicore wire), cut the excess off over the filter and solder it down to the strip board inverted on the insulating side.

I’ve ordered another two sat pre-amps - I want to see if I can open one (bet the secret is under the label) and get the filter wired in on the output end.

disconnect the amp from the output port - connect a (small capacitor filter another small capacitor) all shunted by a an inductor to pass power - where the broken connection was, reseal - should give a filtered amplifier.

reseal.

If I can’t get it in with the amp, replace the amplifier circuit with a filter - just use the case.

PS. I keep a magnifying glass in my desk drawer to read the serial numbers that 5 years ago were easy, I call it workplace ageism doing them so small.

Urg I hate surface mount stuff. It’s nice if you have a pick and place machine and a reflow oven, but doing it by hand is a pain. Doing it upside down with some thin fly leads is probably going to be easier, but I read somewhere it increases the insertion loss over mounting it properly. I keep looking on ebay to see if any of the Chinese manufacturers have done a ready assembled one, but haven’t seen any so far.

how about using a dremmel to cut the right sized hole (4mm sq) in the stripboard to pop the device in so it sits level with the copper strips - then using the fly-leads span the tiny gap.

Mind you, the diagram shows the contact pads coming up the sides of device - so sitting it on the stripboard and soldering might not be too bad (esp. if a little flux is applied first)

Who wants to take part in the buy?

Spotted a method of mounting here

reddit.com/r/RTLSDR/comments … on/c9gfdny

steve-m.de/pics/ads-b_saw_filter.jpg

So from the drawing in the .pdf above, B & E are connected to core of the coax via an SMA, A,C,D F are all ground/braid?

Put me down for 4. 2 I can mess up and still have 2 that might work.

ok, that makes 6 with 2 for me - so we’re looking at an order for 10 … need somewhere for the other 4 to go (or maybe order 6 at the 5 price)

My two LNB amplifiers turned up today so I destroyed one of them - there I was thinking if I peeled the label back I might find somewhere in underneath it.

The label is just a printed aluminium tag on top if the case, and pulling off revealed the circuit board, pushing past the board end the bottom of the case pushed off (I suspect these are not waterproof)

http://i61.tinypic.com/2s01or7.jpg http://i59.tinypic.com/qx2d92.jpg

certainly possible to replace the board with a stripboard filter - will we interesting to fit one in with the amp - might be possible with care

Thanks for posting that - I have that same amplifier and am planning to put it outside at some point. I’ll do some waterproofing to it before I do.

I have a couple of these mounted outside liberally wrapped in self-amalgamating tape and they seem to be surviving

I guess that we’ve attracted as much interest as we will

I’ll go for three triggers for four that’s seven at the 5 off price £5 each

Split the postage from the supplier (£2.10 each)

Triggers - I’ll PM you :slight_smile:

Have you ordered yet?

Nope - probably tomorrow, I’ll PM you

If you do want ‘in’ on this it will delay the order and I’ll need to refund Triggers some of his payment.

Do reply promptly, if I don’t hear from you by tomorrow evening I’ll place the order as it stands.

If anyone else wants any, I’ll pass on the suppliers details once we’ve had our delivery and you can sort out your own buy - it’s unfair to hold the order up if people keep wanting to be added.

Sorry for jumping in late.

I’ll take one, PM payment details and I’ll get it sent over ASAP.

Only just noticed the thread so if its not to late Peter could you please put me down for one.

If you pm me the details I will forward the payment asap, if its after 6 this evening I will sort first thing in the morning after work.

Thanks…

Stephen, a bit off topic for this thread, but locally you’re usually the highest in the stats (Manchester/Lancs). What antenna setup do you have?

Replied direct by PM :slight_smile:

These were all posted out first class post to those who took part in the buy on Friday. If you don’t have yours yet - it should arrive tomorrow.

They are tiny, I’m going to attempt to stick one to the back of the MCX socket on my R820T2

Referring to the tuner diagram on cosycave.co.uk/product.php?id_product=323 by:

Baring a patch on the copper strip between the antenna socket and the ESD to take a feed to the SAW device.

Cutting the track between the ESD and C13 with a dremmel - then wiring the output of the SAW filter to C13.

I’ll solder four grounding wires to the antenna socket to hold and ground the filter.

just waiting for a 0.5mm soldering bit to be delivered.

This gives the idea (note The filter could be the wrong way around - I’ll check before fitting properly)

Here’s wishing you a steady hand and clear eyes. Looks promising, good luck.
…Tom

PeterHR, thanks for sorting these, arrived yesterday.

I quickly mounted one like this (not the neatest):

http://i.imgur.com/nXQXBH2l.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VgCdQ16l.jpg

I may have made the mistake of putting it after my DC injector, rather than between the injector and dongle. Possibly damaging it?

Performance wasn’t great when it was then place between injector and dongle.

Since I’ve got two I’ll be more careful with the second.