1090 and 978 on same device

I am using the stratux hardware for STL and Antennas. amazon.com/Stratux-1090ES-U … ds=stratux

I am using the ADSBReceiver.net 2.5 build and feeding flightware.

The 1090 web page is working fine and I am seeing targets. I don’t see any targets on the 978 web page, but see no error messages on the web page.

How do I check that it is working?

Also the 1090 location is correct on the webpage, but the 978 show up in Italy. How can I fix the location.

Which dongle and what type of antenna/coax are you using?

Look in the dump978 www dir.
cat the json files. one should have a messages count.

It can be really tricky to get to work. I need to check the scripts to see if they will even work properly.
If logging is enabled then that should help.

I currently have it setup on a standalone receiver and get about 1300 aircraft per day.
flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/ … tats-20974

What are are the commands that are used to run dump978?

You can also kill the dump978 processes are run this:-
rtl_sdr -f 978000000 -d 0 -s 2083334 -g 49.6 - | /home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978 | /home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/uat2text
(Change gain and dongle settings to suit you setup)
It should give you a text output of what dump978 is “seeing”. If you have towers in range then you should see regular information.
Restart when done.

Did not find a WWW directory. Thanks for info. Not as PI smart as I should.

I would think given the number stratux out there that more builds with their hardware would be available. We need to capture both 1090 and 978 targets.

Look in /var/www/html/dump978/data/

Remember that there is a big difference between a stratux setup and a piaware setup.
Stratux don’t need max range as they are up in the air and generally have line of sight(Excluding the metal in the aircraft).
The are only worried about aircraft and towers up to about 30NM. Maybe a little further for weather reports(TAFs/METARS etc).

Piaware users are interested in all aircraft, far and near.

I may have confused you. I am only using the Stratux hardware. The software is the adsb-receiver.net build. Flightaware does not have 978 capability from what I know.

The stratux hardware(I have some as I was playing with it a few months ago), is really for short range use.
Adding filters and amps would not help and just make it bulkier.

I send 978 data to Flightaware. You need to run the application from
github.com/mutability/dump978
and send it to dump1090 which sends it to FA.
It is not built into piaware.

This site sends 978 data only
flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/ … tats-20974

In the future I could see them add some of the stratux info to the data.
Tower information, direct weather NEXRAD weather feeds(not from Internet), NOTAMs, airport weather, winds aloft etc etc. This may appeal more to pilots than the flight followers. It is also limited to the USA so is probably not a big priority.

The command lsusb on a linux or pi will list your USB devices.
If you have RTL installed, then the command: rtl_test will show your RTL receivers, including their USB serial number.

The command: rtl_eeprom will allow you to change the serial number of the receiver. This can aid in identifying multiple receivers.

For example, I used the command rtl_eeprom -d 1 -s 00000002 to change the serial number on my second tuner.

Why? Because on my first tune I have the flight aware antenna and filter. But on the second device I’m using the silly little whip antenna. I want the second tuner on 978, and my primary tuner on 1090 with the big antenna and filter.

The serial number can be alphanumeric. You can all them dump978 and dump1090 or homemadeant and faantenna.