1 million positions last week

Congratulations to Peter Benney for clocking up 1 million positions last week :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53467776/1%20million%20positions.JPG

Must be nice! Congratulations. My stats keep going down. Damn leaves!!

Edit: I wonder why the stats are so different for the different feeders?

Location is hugely important. Peter Benney is at Farnborough, and from the polar plot on plane finder he has coverage out to 200nm in most directions. That’s enough to cover pretty much the whole of the south of England and probably some of the north coast of France. In that coverage area in England there are something like 8 or 9 international airports including all 6 of those at London, which I think is the second busiest airport group in the world by aircraft movements. In addition, he is well placed to cover a great deal of the high altitude traffic between the US and Europe.

I’m slightly to the east of London, and I’m seeing about 800,000 positions a day on flightaware recently. I have my antenna in the loft still, which is affecting coverage to the north and south, but I can still see pretty much all of London’s traffic and high European traffic out as far as Paris and Amsterdam. I’m intending to move it up to the roof as soon as I can borrow a big enough ladder to do it. Hopefully that will fill in the gaps and bump the numbers up a bit. Despite the high numbers, there are other people posting who are getting better reception range than I am. I rarely get signals beyond about 220nm, but I’ve seen people post that they reliably get 250nm or higher, but as they live in lower traffic areas they don’t get so high numbers.

once nextgen is implemented in the us (by 2020) we’ll see more more positions. i imagine the east coast will have the beefiest numbers.

Im really far away from the million! to faaaaaaaar awaaaaaaaaay :unamused: